Thread: Value of: Dion Phaneuf
View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 08:29 AM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
Why trade only one when you can trade both Phaneuf and Kessel?

At this point, keeping either one of them won't help the Leafs move forward. If Nonis trades both players soon, the returns for each one will be far more beneficial for the Leafs down the road than keeping both of them or only moving one of them would.
I think my previous comment explained that pretty well but I'll go more in depth.

Trading Kessel likely means we'd have ~ Rielly + Gardiner + top 5 pick (our own) + top prospect (Kessel trade) + mid to late 1st (Kessel trade) to build around in terms of top prospects.

If we trade Phaneuf, we have nobody in the organization who looks like he can fill his role. No potential top pairing physical D-men with big shots. I criticize Phaneuf all the time, but that's because I don't like him as a Captain and I don't think anybody should be fooled into thinking he's a legitimate #1. But that doesn't mean I don't think he can provide very real and valuable contributions on the ice, or that I don't think he can legitimately play on a top pairing. Rielly/Gardiner don't fill the same role that Phaneuf can.

Also considering the return from a potential Kessel deal + our own top pick in this draft, I would argue that we'd have a prospect pool good enough that we could be comfortable trying to build to be as competitive as possible as soon as next season, and no longer any thinking about tanking in the future (aka a ~top 5 prospect pool).

We could try and add Backstrom in the offseason to give us stability in net for the short term (Minnesota only has like ~300K in capspace right now, it's going to be hard for them to keep him, and given our capspace, we could outbid anybody for him on a ~2 year deal). Rielly would be starting next season, and we could swing for the fences at Getzlaf or Perry (though I doubt we'd get either).

I think we could sell Kessel and keep Phaneuf, come out of it with a top 5 prospect pool, and aim for the playoffs as early as next season.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote