View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I just think O'Reilly is terribly overrated as a top-6 center. There are probably half a dozen young centers around his age I'd rather pursue if we're giving up Johansson plus a good draft pick.
Who? Obviously guys like Tavares and RNH would be preferable, but you're not going to get those for Johansson (or anything short of Backstrom or Ovechkin).

O'Reilly's 55 points last year put him in a tie for the 70th most points produced from any player. 23rd among players classified as a center by NHL.com. He's already producing like a borderline 1st line center. And he did that with a rookie (Landeskog) on one wing, and a combination of the Daniel Winnik, Steve Downie, and Milan Hejduk on the other. Winnik doesn't bring much of an offensive game (yes. I'm aware of his sudden offensive outburst this year) and Hejduk is way over the hill. The fact he was able to suddenly turn Downie into an offensive threat should speak to his skill level.

Especially in scenarios where you can line up strong, two-way players with him, you can create a very strong two-way line that can shut down the opponent's to players and still produce.

Do I think he's an ideal fit for the Capitals? No, we already able to roll Backstrom, Ribeiro, and Laich down the middle so I don't see the need to spend quality asset to pursue him. And we have plenty of players capable of filling in during an injury. But most teams are probably going to put substantially more value in O'Reilly than Ribeiro, given the surrounding circumstances.