View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 10:04 AM
AIREAYE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
Try 9/16ths. 1/2 to 5/8 is a pretty big jump.

I change my hollow often depending on ice conditions and the time of year.
To be perfectly honest with you, there will be many a sharpener who will give you either 5/8 or 1/2 because the perceived difference when going to 16ths is very inconsistent. Ice conditions, fatigue and such like you mentioned will play a bigger factor.

I stay with my recommendation of 5/8ths. If anything, go to the in between 9/16ths or try FBV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Black View Post
Hey guys, I'm through reading the first 12 pages and I'll continue through the rest of the thread tonight or in the next couple of days. I'm trying to get as much "intel" as possible now that I'm in the skate market.

Background on me:

So, here is where I stand:

I love my RBK skates that I've had and common sense would say to go RBK again, but after trying them on last year, I don't think it's going to be this easy. From what I've read, similar lines that might work are CCMs and Supreme. Is this correct?

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm probably going to end up getting the second best pair in whatever brand I end up getting. The top of the lines are just a bit too expensive.

Thanks for the help in advance. Look forward to some helpful comments! :fingers crossed:
5Ks...originally a mid end skate from 2008/2009. I do firmly believe that the Reebok fit has changed over the years. The newer models are slightly wider and slightly deeper I find from fitting people. They've repositioned the Pump a couple of times since that generation as well as altered the heel on some models.

Your mindset is sound; try on different pairs because what fit you back then (and that you've broken in over time) might not fit you well now.

In Reebok, see if you can find some 8Ks or 10Ks from 2010/2011 on clearance. The current lineup of 16K and 18K are great boots as well; given that you said you were looking at one or two down from the top; excellent value.

Give CCM a shot next. The U+10 and 12 are phenomenal boots. You'll have to bake them to get the true fit story.

Bauer's Supreme and Nexus should be tried as well. The first page or two should outline some models to look for.