View Single Post
01-28-2013, 10:32 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I hated the idea of Neal on the point when I first heard it and I despise it even more now. He isn't Kovy.

You can't have a rover who isn't a great skater. It defies logic to put him there because he has a great shot.
I agree. It's 100% clear Neal should never be given the responsibility of distributing the puck on the PP. His neither a good enough skater nor or a good enough stick handler. He should have one and and only one role on the PP: get open and rip the puck.

Same with carrying the puck into the zone... he should never do it unless it's a broken play / he's stolen the puck away from someone. Honestly I think he should worry less about getting ripped with Gary Roberts at this point than spending the summers power-skating. That's what will enable him to take his game to another level, not getting huge. It's still important and he should continue to push himself physically, but his skating is the weakest part of his game IMO. He has a pretty awkward stride at times. Not BAD relative to other players his size, just the obvious weak point.

OTOH I saw Zach Kassian play over the holidays and for a big man he has awesome wheels / mobility. He could end up being pretty lethal playing with the Sedins. Doesn't have Neal's shot, but if Neal could learn to have Kassian's skating... nobody could hang with that line, even if they put speedy grinder out there as the third guy. Hell teams couldn't hang last year when it was Kunitz.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote