View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 12:00 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I'm so glad Ullstrom's hard work is turning into meaningful NHL Production so quickly. I'm also happy that Islander fans now get to see him perform and are beginning to understand what kind of talent he has. I was basically laughed at/dismissed prior to the start of the season for suggesting Ullstrom get a shot on Tavares line. Now it's not such a ridiculous notion. I'm sure there are still a lot who feel Ullstrom is a 3rd liner, but that typecast seems to be fading, and rightfully so. He has a long way to go, but I have no doubts that if he can get his playing time he will continue to produce at a high level.

This sort of thing happens far more frequently to players who are brought along at their own pace. He's a 23 almost 24 year old rookie with tons of Experience in SEL, WJC, and AHL. Anyone think Ullstrom would be doing this good as a 19 year old kid without most of that experience?

For me it's obvious that Matt Donovan is the next one that will get called up and enjoy great success fairly quickly in the NHL (Same Draft Year as Ullstrom) and has played several years in NCAA, WJC, And AHL with same level of success as Ullstrom. I look forward to watching Donovan in the AHL ALl-Star Game tonight (that should be his final non NHL achievement).

I can't help but wonder where Bailey would be if the Islanders had the same development plan for him and made him earn his way and pile up Junior and AHL accomplishments before letting him step on the Ice.

Rueffner can shove it. He's an AGENT, not an NHL scout or player development personnel. Would he rather his client enjoy success and participate in an AHL All-Star game on his road to eventual NHL Stardom, or struggle to score goals in the NHL allowing his client to go multiple seasons without being an impact player? Oh wait, he gets paid a lot more if his client struggles in NHL. Never mind.
I've always been a pretty big Ullstrom fan, but I'd be lying if I said I expected him to be this good so far this year.

That said, I get what you are saying about prospects developing at their own pace, but for the most part a top-5 or 10 pick(Nino, Strome, Reinhart, etc.) take less time to develop than 4th rounders(Ullstrom). Just look at Hickey. He's all of 2 months older than Ullstrom, yet he is considered a bust while Ullstrom is considered a prospect who was brought along correctly. Draft position definitely plays a huge part.

All I know is that 2008 draft is shaping up to be a huge success. I know some are down on Bailey, but I'm still a pretty big supporter of his. I like his 2-way game and I still think his offensive upside is pretty big. Hamonic has been an obvious stud. Martin is already a quality role-player that every NHL team would love to have. Donovan looks to be developing nicely and I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually stick this year. Poulin has been a little shaky but still has #1 upside. Now Ullstrom is proving to be one of our better NHL forwards and could(probably should) get a full-time spot in our top-6. Petrov is obviously a wild-card, but if he eventually comes over this draft becomes even better.

I couldn't be happier with the way that draft is turning out. Now maybe some people will reserve judgement on the '09, '10, '11 and '12 drafts(LotteryForLife... I'm talking to you).