View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 11:04 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I agree. It's 100% clear Neal should never be given the responsibility of distributing the puck on the PP. His neither a good enough skater nor or a good enough stick handler. He should have one and and only one role on the PP: get open and rip the puck.

Same with carrying the puck into the zone... he should never do it unless it's a broken play / he's stolen the puck away from someone. Honestly I think he should worry less about getting ripped with Gary Roberts at this point than spending the summers power-skating. That's what will enable him to take his game to another level, not getting huge. It's still important and he should continue to push himself physically, but his skating is the weakest part of his game IMO. He has a pretty awkward stride at times. Not BAD relative to other players his size, just the obvious weak point.

OTOH I saw Zach Kassian play over the holidays and for a big man he has awesome wheels / mobility. He could end up being pretty lethal playing with the Sedins. Doesn't have Neal's shot, but if Neal could learn to have Kassian's skating... nobody could hang with that line, even if they put speedy grinder out there as the third guy. Hell teams couldn't hang last year when it was Kunitz.
This is why I said I wanted Morrow playing with the big club, eventhough I know he hasn't "earned" it. Letang simply isn't a PP QB and there is no one on the big club or in the A who can do what he can for this PP.

I mean, Jesus, they are using Neal at the point. That screams of desperation. I'm trying to think of a PP decision like this that was so obviously doomed to failure. Why would you put your avg skating trigger man who lead your team in PP goals up high? It makes him much less dangerous for the PK unit, and makes him exploitable.

If they can't find a solution and Morrow keeps playing solid like he has the last few games, there is no harm bringing him up if an injury dictates it. At worst he shows he can't handle it, but as I keep saying, when they see what he does for their PP and transition game, they may prefer to live with his mistakes.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote