View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 11:29 AM
dave babych returns

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
That's why I said, if his ultimate goal is the NHL, he should go all-in....clearly it isn't.
I think you're taking this too seriously. (And really you could make this same claim about any NCAA player, in principle.)

Maybe Manny shouldn't have missed a couple of chances to fight to salvage his NHL career rather than staying with his family while his son was born. Maybe Willie Mitchell should have rushed himself back into the lineup (on multiple occasions) rather than missing games until he felt comfortable returning.

These are human beings with ambitions (and needs) beyond what the NHL - or in McNally's case, an okay shot at being in the NHL - can deliver.

I don't think acknowledging that fact makes them worse NHL players necessarily.. maybe McNally has set his development back by sitting a year, that's his choice. But at the end of his collegiate career he still looks like he might have NHL talent and is ready to go pro, I don't see the point in holding his decision to stay against him.

Frankly to me the biggest question mark on McNally at this point isn't the choice to serve his suspension, it was the choice to cheat on an exam.