Thread: Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART V
View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 11:38 AM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
All I know is that 2008 draft is shaping up to be a huge success. I know some are down on Bailey, but I'm still a pretty big supporter of his. I like his 2-way game and I still think his offensive upside is pretty big. Hamonic has been an obvious stud. Martin is already a quality role-player that every NHL team would love to have. Donovan looks to be developing nicely and I wouldn't be surprised to see him eventually stick this year. Poulin has been a little shaky but still has #1 upside. Now Ullstrom is proving to be one of our better NHL forwards and could(probably should) get a full-time spot in our top-6. Petrov is obviously a wild-card, but if he eventually comes over this draft becomes even better.

I couldn't be happier with the way that draft is turning out. Now maybe some people will reserve judgement on the '09, '10, '11 and '12 drafts(LotteryForLife... I'm talking to you).
You forgot Spurgeon, who's turning out to be a damn good NHL defenseman, albeit for another organization. It's funny because I remember the experts applauding the draft but referencing Ness, Trivino, Toews the most, with of course Petrov and Bailey also getting tons of ink.

These things take time to play out. Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I think letting teenagers (18,19) play in the NHL is a mistake for 99.99999% of the palyer population. Yoy say top 5 or 10 in each draft? I think most would agree with you, but I just don't see it proving out that way. Depending on the draft year there may be anywhere from 1-3 guys (maybe more in a SPECIAL year) that can make the jump and have success in year 1 or 2 post draft. And if they can't have success right off the bat why rush them?

Nino, by the end of this year will have made his claim, that he performed well in AHL and is potentially ready for a big roll in NHL (took 3 years)

Tavares, Special Generational talent #1 overall (VERY atypical, the exception not the rule) Ready off the bat.

Strome and Nelson are getting close but it will end up being either 3 or 4 years since time of draft for them to have made the progression.

And while Okposo may have been rushed a little bit (perhaps an extra year at college or Bridgeport would have given him more experience/confidence) which could have meant less learning and watching him try and develop in NHL games, which would have been good for him. Though it was an expedited process bordeline rush job, he handled it well.

For Bailey, we will never know. That's the frustrating part of it all. He was just tossed out there off the bat, and never thown a life vest. Until it came down to the last day he was eligible to get sent down (Game 159) without clearing waivers in attempt to send hima message... Guess what if you have to send a message to a 21 year old in Game 159... you waited too long. I'll never understand how/why they handled Bailey this way.