Thread: Washed up...
View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 11:42 AM
token grinder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Why can't it end up like Dallas or San Jose? Neither has had crippling rebuild years and both seem to find offensive players. Ducks, Sens and Kings, are other examples. It's funny the Blues and the Kings had GMs that commented on building like Nashville, both seem to have done it better.
in fairness, Dallas had the luxury of being pretty good on the move south and has maintained and SJ sucked a few years, and they fleeced Jumbo Joe from Boston which made a huge difference.

STL scouting department is better than ours I think. They did well on the back end with Pietrangelo and Cole, but have peiced it together via trade (johnson for Shattenkirk) and keeing the right guys like Jackman. Where they blow us away is finding offensive talent, or rather the right talent-Backes, Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Taransenko Blow ours away right now as far as drafted talent. We have guys with simialr qualities in Wilson, Budish, watson, Hornquist, (had) Radulov smith, but aren't there yet. STL also had the luxury of letting them play top minutes while they had no answer in net. A perfect Storm for them.

I think we are a victim of our own success a bit here too. We never have that top 5 pick. But we haven't found that 5th-6th round gem that is an all world player. Hornquist is nice and I think any team would take 30 goals a year out of the 7th round, but I am talking those late gems like Detroit had, or a Jaime Benn. Part of me thinks we keep drafting forwards in those mid rounds hoping we find a faster, more skilled erat in the 4th, or that center that always is lacking in the 6th.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote