View Single Post
01-28-2013, 01:31 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by HajdukSplit View Post
to me Ireland were fortunate to qualify, they finished 2nd in their group by taking I think 3 points from the two main rivals for qualification(Russia, Slovakia). What helped them is taking full 6 points from Armenia while Slovakia lost both games to them. Then they got the easiest playoff draw (Estonia; still think UEFA fixed this form them to repay them for 2010) and in most years Estonia would never even come close to a playoff, in a normal qualifying year Ireland would have played Serbia where their chances would have decreased but Serbia were in turmoil that campaign.

For me the only confederation who probably deserves at least one more spot in South America, I think they can produce 6 quality teams at a World Cup (anything more than 6 would be too much, it would devalue their qualification competitiveness). Europe should be 13-14. I would actually cut one from Africa until they produce better results, they have been massive disappointments in the 2000s minus one good run from Ghana and Senegal. I guess its unfair to judge CIV as both World Cups they have been in the group of death. Asia have done well so their allocation is ok for now. CONCACAF doesn't deserve 4 spots, don't remember the last time anybody other than MEX/USA won a World Cup match (Jamaica 1998?)

So in conclusion I would give 1 more spot to UEFA and CONMEBOL and take away one spot from CAF and get rid of the 0.5 from CONCACAF/OFC. Put New Zealand in AFC, Oceania doesn't need to be a confederation imo
The 3 times Ireland made the World Cup they had some big names and some star players. When they made the Euro's for the first time in 1988 they had a great manager in Jackie Charlton who basically played the long ball and brought a lot of English and Scottish born (with Irish parents/grandparents) into the squad.

The team that made it to Poland could have played better but the manager (trappatoni) is so set in his way that they play like crap & are very boring to watch.

The only thing you can say in Ireland defense at the Euro's was that if they were in any other group they would have had a better showing. Ireland had Italy/Spain/Croatia - the 2 teams who made the final and a very good IMO Croatian side.

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote