View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 02:01 PM
slozo

vCash: 500
There could be many reasons - stronger play being the most obvious (putting aside your dissemination of the stats, which is probably unfair to both players). As others have said, part of it is keeping Phaneuf on his natural side, the one where Carlyle obviously recognises he is much stronger defensively.

But overall, I sense it is Carlyle's way of sending his message loud and clear on if you work hard, you get more ice time - talent and contract be damned. Part of that thinking plays into the "who gives me the best chance TODAY to win" thinking, and the shortened season played a big part in that the first few games I think. But when you give lots of minutes to unheralded D-men like Kostka who absolutely work their butt off and do everything you ask of them defensively . . . it forces everyone to adjust their comfort level and get on the same page.

For some players, this has meant an instant and good response (Komisarek, I'd say is an example of that). For others . . . it's been slow, and we're still waiting (Liles).

And frankly, everyone is still adjusting, Phaneuf's had some off games recently . . . let's see how it shakes out in another 5 games. I think the ten game mark is a much better barometer.

slozo is offline   Reply With Quote