View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 01:44 PM
DrEasy
:heart: Cameron

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
If you expect him to be playing like Erik Karlsson, of course you will always be disappointed.

I repeat, Phillips has been fine. At this point in his career, he is a great #5 because due to age, he lost a step. That's what happens when you have been sacrificing your body for the same team all your career.

That being said, it's astounding the amount of hate Chris Phillips gets. Frustrating for old time fans like me. Phillips ain't a "top pair" D-man anymore and it's just the way things go, like Alfie ain't a top line player anymore as well.

I think they still deserve a bit more respect, as we could just temper our expectations on them. Phillips still play great PK, score important goals, score about 20-25 points per 82 games (which is good for a defensive D-man), is never injured, has a lot of experience/leadership to share with youngsters and is fine at even strenght when he is not asked to face high skill/speed forwards like Stamkos. Plus, he never looked for big money and stayed with the Sens because his heart beats for this team. He probably cares a lot more than you ever will.
I think you're looking at Phillips through nostalgic eyes. As you said, everybody declines, but in Phillips' case it's now pretty bad. Name one of our defensemen who is slower than him. He's very hesitant when he has the puck, and it often ends up going straight to the opponent. He's still good at taking the body around the net but even then he's not the tower of strength he used to be.

Part of it may be mental. He seems to play much better when he decides (or the coach tells him?) to be more actively involved offensively. It also somehow seems to affect his play with the puck in the defensive zone.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote