Thread: Value of: Mattias Tedenby
View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 01:57 PM
Zippy316

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
He has NHL caliber speed and hands. Too bad he has ECHL caliber hockey IQ and midget AA strength. Would have to really improve in those areas to make an NHL career for himself. I see him going back to Sweden where he has plenty more ice to work with and it's much less physical.

The Marty St. Louis comparisons from Devils fans post-draft are quite humorous in retrospect. On the hockey IQ scale, St. Louis is Einstein and Tedenby is Charles Barkley.
I think the St. Louis comparisons are asinine too, but people don't realize that St. Louis became a regular at the age of 24. Tedenby is only 21. I'm not high on Tedenby, but the one thing he really needs to work on is his strength. It's obvious his hockey IQ will never fully be there, no matter how hard he tries. You can seldom teach that stuff.

If he can just get his physical level up enough to where he's not manhandled on the boards and he can win a puck battle or not get thrown to the ice, then he can still salvage an NHL career. A lot of the smaller players in the NHL did not make it until they got older.

Brian Gionta was a year older than him when he made it (22).
Stephen Gionta was 28 when he finally became more of a regular.
St. Louis didn't make it until he was 24.

There's still hope, just not right now, and he's got a long way to go.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote