View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 02:07 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 500
Ideal System for the Flyers: Now and the Future

I love the way Peter Laviolette coaches, and I'd like him here long term. But his stubbornness and unwillingness to adjust his system to cater to his big, slow/old defense, young forwards, and inconsistent goaltender (yes I know he's been tremendously better) continues to drive me nuts.

I refuse to believe that this defensive personnel is THAT bad. No we don't have a true #1 anymore, but our top 5 defensemen, when healthy, should be among the best in the league. And we're not throwing Lukas Krajicek out there anymore, we have about 5 serviceable 5/6 d-men in the organizaiton. The forwards...we brag about having all these guys with defensive upsides and good two way awareness (Couturier, Schenn, Fedotenko, Talbot), or just the effort (Simmonds, Voracek, Read, Giroux)...yet they're AWFUL backchecking 5v5.

We've got some good players we could see in the next few seasons like Laughton, Cousins, Noebels, Gostisbehere, and Stolarz...not to mention Bryz for 8 more years (likely starting for 4-6 of them). If we could change it up today, what would be the ideal system going forward for this team to succeed?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote