View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 02:13 PM
416Leafer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
It really depends on how you look at it. You can't really call them a weak haul if you get those guys in return for them. True enough that none of the guys we picked will directly benefit the Leafs by playing for them.

Yet, at the same time not sure an article can say the 2008 draft did nothing for us. I'd say that Gardiner is a pretty good guy to get out of that draft. We'll see what Colborne turns into as well.
Depends what you're trying to measure.

If you're trying to measure the GMs / Scouts decisions at the draft table on that day, you have to look at who they drafted that day.

If we have mostly the same scouting staff since that time, this type of method can be used to evaluate our scouting staff.

Despite not having that many top picks, we still haven't picked any true gems for 10+ years. We haven't drafted any franchise players, top line players, etc outside of the 1st round in a LONG time, probably since Kaberle. We've had some decent guys, Kulemin, Gunnarson, Frattin, Reimer, etc in the later rounds. But no real impact players.

If we get an impact player with a top 5 draft choice, i don't necessarily attribute that to good scouting either. So if Rielly turns out to be a great player, I don't think the scouting staff deserve a ton of credit compared to if they unearthed that type of player with a 2nd round or later pick.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote