View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 02:31 PM
The Winter Soldier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_rudeboy View Post
I have to disagree with you there. Of course it is better if we can hit the jackpot in a draft and find a first pairing d-man, starting goalie or first liner. And I do want us to take a chance on projects as well who have a high chance to be a bust but if they make it improve our team.
But going for players who have a high possibility of becoming NHL:ers even in minor roles is also something we should aim to do. First of all it is always fun to see a young guy progress within the system and finally end up playing a part on the team even if it is as 3rd pairing d-man. And it also save us money seeing as it is cheaper, easier to get a few bonus years after their ELC is up then it is to sign depth guys from free agency.

Armstrong and Komisarek cost a lot to sign in terms of cap space seeing as they came from free agency, if we could get an aggressive 3rd liner (Ross) and a bottom 4 d-man (Blacker) from within then they will most likely re-sign for a lot less meaning there is more money to spend on free agents of higher quality or to keep the stars we hopefully will develop.
That's fine, I want a little more bang in the second rd. Finn was a great pick for instance, has top 4 D man written all over him.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote