View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Ian Altenbaugh
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkinstheman View Post
After Harrington leaves next year from maata and zadarov who will become London's top defense men? Without harringtons defense they will probably need maata to step up which should be good for him since he'd receive alot more responsibility.
Maatta would probably be better fit in a defensive role anyway. His offense is really a secondary part of his game, and I think that's why a lot of people are less than impressed by him this season, despite him posting fairly decent numbers.

Maatta is an interesting prospect in general. I've talked to people who, after watching the same game, had completely different opinions of him, coming away having seen much different things. Ultimately, I think he projects as a d-man who will be somewhere between Jordan Leopold and Mark Eaton (to use names Pens fans are familiar with). Meaning he'll be a fairly vanilla, two-way d-man who can put up some numbers, though his primary game is making smart high-percentage plays, carrying the puck up ice, and keeping the puck out of his zone.

Morrow has had a lot of ups and downs this season and it should not be any surprise whatsoever. Coming into prospect camp he said (paraphrasing) "I wasn't able to work on the systems the Penguins taught me this season because of the style we play in Portland". Which is another way of saying, "don't expect a ton early on, I have my work cut out for me."

He is actually very good at moving and shooting the puck. It's just that most other parts of his game need work right now. To use a familiar cliche, he's learning the "systems" and figuring out his role within the "systems".

That all being said, I'm not exactly thrilled with how the Pens have developed some of their prospects over the last two or three years. It does not seem to be a particularly nurturing environment for skilled players (especially forwards), which doesn't make a ton of sense if you consider they are trying to groom skilled forwards to complement Crosby and Malkin. They, like many teams, believe a player needs to be torn down then built back up to play a certain way or in a certain role. The problem comes when the coach isn't able to instill some confidence in a player who might be questioning his own abilities. I don't know the exact source or reason for the problem, Coach Hynes has a long successful track record working with young players, but it is something that seems apparent over the last few seasons.

Feel free to disagree, it's just one man's thoughts.