View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 02:39 PM
Rey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Killed in the AHL? In what way, hit hard?

I mean not all kids are Chris Tanev, but he wasn't killed in the AHL, took some nasty, dirty hits mind you, but he wasn't killed.

We can both argue until we're blue in the face about it, it won't change our opinions.

For him, getting the Harvard education is clearly his goal here.

To be fair, it's probably best to keep him away from our 'developlmental staff' until he's more of a finished product. I just don't like this kid sitting out a full season by choice, sort of shows me his goals moving forward and I don't like it.
He's not physically developed yet, he's not conditioned yet to play twice every week, he's not developed properly to be in the AHL. His defensive game is way off, he was struggling offensively this season. He's way too much of a project right now. You can't compare him to Chris Tanev, who was playing against bigger guys his whole life.

You don't have to like it, but it isn't about you. You're being selfish. It's the kids future were talking about here. Just because he is going to take the year off, doesn't mean he isn't committed in playing in the NHL. You gotta be smart about it, rushing him into pro, when he's clearly not ready is another way of destroying a kids career. At least if he stays in Harvard, he'll at least have a backup plan. Goal in life should be trying to be as successful as you can. Anyone on this board can dream of being in the NHL, it just doesn't mean it'll happen. You gotta be realistic. Lots of prospects have huge potential, but it's not a given that they'll be in the NHL. Living a life of a journeymen isn't exactly glamorous. He's better off sitting in an office 5 days a week, making the same 6 figures then wasting his life playing in the ECHL/AHL. Hell, how disappointing would he and his family be, if he ended up like Patrick White. playing hockey is a full time commitment whether your good or not. Only people who have nothing else to turn back to, would make that decision to play in a small league, making little money, and be far away from the fam.

Last edited by Rey: 01-28-2013 at 03:01 PM.