Thread: News Article: JT Miller: AHL All Star
View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 03:03 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Thats Nashty View Post
Miller was a consensus 1st round pick. Ferriero was a 7th round pick and Mashinter undrafted. Obviously draft position doesn't always mean everything but it gives a good indication of what NHL scouts see in potential.

I've never really seen Ferriero play before he came here, but looking at his stats and judging from his one game, he could be a useful player. Ideally he's a 4th liner that can move up a line or two if needed. Mashinter has great size but doubt he makes an impact in the NHL. I think Arnott was to be brought in specifically for the PP and for offensive zone faceoffs. Having Arnott take a regular shift at even strength would have been more of a liability at this point of his career.

You are correct though that Miller needs more time in the AHL. If he follows the recent NYR developmental curve, we can hope he finishes out this year in the AHL strong and be around a PPG player next season in the AHL unless he makes the team out of camp. I know it's early to call him up this season but I'm just anxious to see some fresh blood due to the lack of talent/depth in our bottom 6. Dubinsky made the team after one year in Hartford where he put up .5 ppg.

I see Miller as a sure-fire NHL 3rd liner due to his physicality with 2nd line upside if his offensive game can develop. Basically Dubi reincarnated.
Upside is great and potential is fun for teams not looking to truly contend but what I meant was that the Rangers must not have been enthused with the call-up options they have for right now so they decided to go out and get some players who they may have thought could contribute if needed. Mashinter, Ferriero and Arnott (no longer)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote