View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 04:44 PM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46330ivs View Post
Montreal fans, here is an example of why you dont sign PK for more than 2 years. There was this d-man who was predicted to be a Norris trophy winner for years, the next Chris Pronger. His rookie year was full of hi-lights, goals and hits, and the second year was even better. He eventually signed an extention for serious term and serious money.......Dion Phaneuf. Would you trade for Dion Phaneuf now? No, but after his ELC? Yes every team wanted him. That is the purpose of the bridge contract. If Dion had signed a bridge deal, do you think he would be getting the money and stupid term he has now? report this comment

taken from a post on TSN, my feelings exactly.
As much as the argument is somewhat poignant, that's a pretty crazy reason not to sign players long term. We all know there is risk involved in every signing, and hopefully you can count on your pro scouting team to assess the situation correctly.

There's always a "Phaneuf" factor when signing young upstart players. There's also a "Kane, Skinner, Hall, Eberle, Doughty, Bolland, Karlsson. Hedman & co." factor as well.

Personally, I doubt that Subban falls into the former category. It's a risk I would be willing to take.

Obviously MB disagrees with me, due to his insistence of offering a 2 year deal.