Thread: Borowiecki
View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Holdurbreathe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I think you're looking at Phillips through nostalgic eyes. As you said, everybody declines, but in Phillips' case it's now pretty bad. Name one of our defensemen who is slower than him. He's very hesitant when he has the puck, and it often ends up going straight to the opponent. He's still good at taking the body around the net but even then he's not the tower of strength he used to be.

Part of it may be mental. He seems to play much better when he decides (or the coach tells him?) to be more actively involved offensively. It also somehow seems to affect his play with the puck in the defensive zone.
IMO Phillips speed or lack of isn't a major issue and if you attended practice you might be surprised at how fast he is.

He isn't getting beaten to the outside, nor is he losing many races to the puck.

The problem he and other Sens D have at times is quick puck movement.

However crisp, accurate outlet passes aren't all about the D, they are as much a function of the forwards getting into position to receive these passes.

What I have noticed at times during the first five games is forwards leaving the D zone too quickly, creating large gaps and leaving the D to attempt to make low percentage passes.

I also don't think Andy helps his defense with his handling of the puck at times.

All that said, the Sens have given up 1,0,1,6,1 goals over five games.

Overall the D has performed well, including Phillips.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote