View Single Post
Old
01-28-2013, 08:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by haf View Post
I see where you are coming from but I disagree. Fraser is kind of a one trick pony and I don't think he could ever be exposed as much as he would on the 2nd line and be successful. 4th line and then power play however would be fine.

As much as you may disagree with it, kind of like Morrow is atm. 4th line minutes with net presence on the power play.

Smith, I may have overly played the binary with against Fraser, but I wasn't far off the mark. He is too soft to play down the lineup long into his career, so I see him earning the minutes of top 6 or having a hard time keeping a lineup spot. Eventually. He will definitely get time to develop.
Just going to have to agree to disagree on both players.

Theoretically, Morrow can help on the PP because all he's really being asked to do is provide screens for the goalie. Fraser's role would be different in every way imaginable. He would be playing the Brett Hull, Stamkos type role looking for the open slot to slam home a shot. That takes skill and IMO a mindset that you don't get by routinely playing a 4th line role.

I'm not sure how far down the road you're talking about with Smith's career but I'm really only concerned with the next 4-5 years in a discussion of this sort. I'm confident that he could be a valuable 3-4th liner for the duration of that time. Also, I just don't see him being soft. He's not going to lay a big hit but he's put on quite a bit more mass since his draft year and seems to have a pretty solid build for his stature.