Thread: Proposal: Stastny to Buffalo
View Single Post
01-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Sabres & Blackhawks
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I could be coerced to deal Foligno in a larger package, but I would deinaitely want a guy like McGinn coming back which probably makes the deal nearly a wash... Would rather hang onto Marcus though...

Aquiring the top-6 centre we have been missing for 2yrs (due to injuries to Roy, decline of Connolly) or so is not really a 'panic trade'. We knew Ennis as a #2C was a gamble, and in this case it isn't working out as well as hoped. We also gambled on Leino and lost - it is time to bet on a safer horse at a bit steeper price IMO.

Buffalo needs a top-6 centre whether it is Stastny or someone else.
You're ready to say that five games into the season? We traded for Hodgson just last year. We drafted Grigorenko. We've made moves to acquire two potential top-six centers already in the matter of less than a year, both of which potential hasn't even been hit. Five games in suddenly these guys aren't going to work? Ennis looked great last year. After five games we're giving up on him? How many games as he played in the NHL as a center? Not many and in a majority of them he did very well.

This team making a trade this early on and giving up assets for someone like Stastny is stupid. If it's clear what we have won't work, then that's when it's time. But five games into a new season and it's already a failure? Way too early. If we're trading for a guy like Crosby, Malkin, even Spezza, then I don't oblige, but Stastny being the fix here this early? Way too soon to give up on our guys.

I stand by this sample size being way too small. Ten games in and we're still struggling, then I say change might be an option. However, I think the coaching staff should be the first thing looked at in that regard, not the players this team is supposedly being built around this soon.

Last edited by Rivet52: 01-28-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote