View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 12:47 AM
StarsFan74

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
I think you have to go to Jagr and ask what he wants at the deadline. If the team is going nowhere fast he may appreciate a move back to Philly or somewhere East. He's not holding this club back but if they can get a prospect and a 2nd for him well his departure won't make me sad.

I think the only way you can fix this defense is at the draft. Olesiak will be an improvement over Robidas (assuming he's moved) but that alone won't be enough. A solid hardnosed vet is desperately needed but that's not easily or cheaply found.

Firesale what vets you can to acquire as many picks and prospects as possible so you've got options for the draft and going into next season. It's a deep draft and numerous picks are a commodity with Les Jackson at the helm. We may not have enough to get top five but we could add an additional top 20 pick with two seconds and a third.

The final half of the season has to be play the kids and evaluate who's going to be here next year and who's on offer this off-season. They can't go into next year with old vets, young kids and the same crappy defense again this Sept., not if Niewendyk wants to keep his job.
That would be and is, as is evident, a lengthy process. We gave up two straight chances at drafting a defenseman in 2009 and 2010, and that has come to bite us now.