Thread: Value of: Dion Phaneuf
View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 12:46 AM
EucaLEAFtys

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Phaneuf is are most important player he shuts down the other teams top line (most of the time) and contributes offensively. I wouldn't trade him for anything other then an overpayment.

I'd consider it if we got back a valuable piece like Duchene. Duchene's value is pretty hard to gauge because he could up be a 60 point guy or a 75 point guy. I honestly don't see him as a 70 + point guy but we need at least a 1B type centre so if that options was available I would do it. Phaneuf might not be worth a 1A centre but he's at least worth a 1B.
And just how, pray tell, is Phaneuf the "most important player" on the Leafs?

A defensive game has never been Phaneuf's forte, and yet Carlyle is trying to use him in a "shut-down" role? Really.. the only thing that Phaneuf has successfully shut-down so far this season is his own offensive capability!

He's an offensive-minded defenceman.. not some stalwart on defence. Not to mention the fact that he's currently being grossly overplayed which has greatly exposed his limited defensive ability.

Phaneuf just doesn't fit into Carlyle's defence-first system because he's not a defence-first type of defenceman. For that reason (amongst others), he should be traded in order to take advantage of other teams' defensive needs.

This team is brutally awful right now and they don't really need Phaneuf on the team to continue being brutally awful. Trade him now for a better (and brighter)future in a few years!

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote