View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 07:27 AM
optimus2861

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grudy0 View Post
I can only speak to the NFL:

By the time the four-division, two conference setup was approved, the creation of the fourth division in each conference had some roots:

The NFC East removed Arizona
The NFC Central removed Tampa Bay and renamed themselves the NFC North
The NFC West only kept San Francisco and the Rams, and added Arizona and Seattle from the AFC
Atlanta, Carolina and New Orleans moved from the NFC West to the new NFC South, while picking up Tampa Bay

The AFC East dispatched Indianapolis
The AFC Central removed Tennessee and Jacksonville
The AFC West lost Seattle to the NFC
The AFC South was created out of Indianapolis, Tennessee, Jacksonville and the expansion Houston franchise.

I think everyone involved was relatively happy.
I still find it interesting that the NFL in one shot fixed virtually all of their alignment issues and radically restructured the league, but still didn't have the courage to take on the Dallas Cowboys; they left them in the NFC East rather than risk their ire by separating them from the Redskins, Giants, and Eagles.

Is there an equivalent "king of the hill" in the NHL who will not be moved/realigned come hell or high water? I suspect the strongest candidate is the Philadelphia Flyers. They seem strongly adamant that they will not be separated from the New York teams and from the Pittsburgh Penguins; they're the "glue" that holds the Atlantic division together. If you could figure out how to split the Flyers & Penguins, it creates some options.