View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 09:11 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlameSubban View Post
Well not really, Blowing it up has to bring return to the players you are getting rid of. What did they get for the leafs of the mid 2000s? Nothing substantial at all. I'm talking firesale and being a bottom feeder (a real bottom feeder, not a 7-10th drafting team) for a couple seasons and bring in some players through the draft.
Blow it up and bring in AHl players while the prospects and draft picks develop. Problem is no more three straight #1 overall picks with the draft. Bettman is back to the old lottery system. A real rebuild may be harder to come by nowadays. Leafs could hope to pick top 5 for the next 5 years though. I think the Kessel trade set the team back. Burke has compounded it by signing marginal free agents that are good enough to keep the team from hitting rockbottom. Burke was also reluctant to trade his vets because he is stubborn and truly believed he was building a contender.

It amazes me how last year Montreal could draft #3 overall and get a stud with the talent on that team. I do realize injuries were a concern but if Price is so good no way do you pick that high. The Leafs have to get lucky like the Canadiens did.

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote