Thread: Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVII
View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 09:38 AM
chsb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcel snapshot View Post
I'm not imparting selfishness to Ovie. I just think he only knows one way to be effective - which is go, go, go and play completely and totally on instinct. He's not a guy who's effective at reading how a play develops and adapting his approach based upon that read - so he's like the anti-Oates. He needs guys who read him.

So, yeah it's part of the problem - but we tried the last couple of years to make Ovie into something he's not; to add certain elements to his game, and it hasn't really worked.

I think Oates is trying to work with the player that Ovie is, rather than the player that we might like Ovie to be. Dale did it last year as well, and he obviously had a disproportionate focus on what a defensive liablity Ovie could be. I think Oates is trying to allow Ovie to be what he is, while getting others to make up for his defensive shortcomings - as opposed to Hunter who dealt with his defensive shortcomings by limiting his ice time.
Fair enough!

One would think that Backstrom, who has been playing alongside Ovie for years, would be the best suited to work with him.....and it does not work.

Amazingly we could argue on Ovie's hockey sense if he did not figure yet how to play well with a very gifted centerman.

What I find is that skilled players are being relegated to 4th line status because of their incapacity to work properly with Ovie even if a first line centerman also have showed that incapacity.

Maybe it is time to restructure this team...that it be from within or by bringing some outsiders.