View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatesharpener View Post
"Think Berenson and his assistants are heavily going after a goalie for next season right about now".

One would think that Berenson needs a new scouting staff. These goalies are brutal. Saw the games over the weekend. Michigan just looks disorganized. Berenson plays his two top lines a lot because he doesn't have much after that. The third line is terrible and the two top lines are out of gas by the third. Red needs to have a better balanced team as well as getting rid of the D3 goalies.

There is no excuse for Michigan to be losing almost every game. Somebody has made a big mistake.
One thing you're forgetting or overlooking is that Michigan also lost Mel Pearson to Michigan Tech. Pearson was and continues to be widely regarded as one of the top recruiters in college hockey. Prior to leaving Ann Arbor after the 2010-11 season, Pearson was responsible for bringing in many of the top players that have donned the maize and blue over the years - including Marty Turco (since we are talking goalies here).

While I think asst. coach Billy Powers has a very good eye for talent, I don't think he has quite the eye that Pearson had when it came to bringing in the type of top end talent that would fit in well with Michigan's system.

I'm not making any excuses here for Michigan's dreadful season, but since you brought up the recruiting staff I'm merely pointing out that the team lost one of the best recruiters in the biz. Michigan's loss is Tech's gain.

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote