View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Out East

vCash: 500
Gauthier was not fit for a media exposed market. He could possibly do fine in Nashville or somewhere similar. He was by far not the worst GM we've had. In my lifetime that dishonour goes to Rejean Houle who singlehandedly took a perennial contender and gutted it to the point we were an embarassment. Gainey did well until his daughter was lost at sea and then he fell apart, understandably so.

What few realize is that being a GM is like being a politician. Real impact requires years of strategic building, most of which isn't seen or appreciated. Few are around long enough to see the fruits of their labour. We are still benefitting from the rebuilding Andre Savard began and Gainey continued. Much better scouting, more professionalism throughout. Unfortunately Gainey had personal tragedy and Gauthier came in and panicked. Had Markov never been injured though the whole history of the last three years would be radically different. We got A. Gally out of it so I'm thankful for that but last year was brutal.

This year with Markov back and Therrien (not perfect but a good coach for the time being) I actually look forward to the games. Last year I really started to lose interest. Every time I saw Cunneyworth behind the bench last year I felt pity for him. So classless to stick him in that spot...

Out East is offline   Reply With Quote