Thread: Speculation: Nino seeking trade?
View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 01:11 PM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Didn't Bergenheim say the exact same thing before he and his agent stood firm and decided not to report to camp and sign...ignoring Wang's "if you're not in camp signed, we'll talk contract again next season"? And didn't Bergenheim end up firing his agents?

I dunno...especially that last part..."Whatever he thinks is best for me, he should just do that." That's very, very dumb.
I understand what you are saying completely. However, why do you think Nino and almost every other player has an agent? The agent is supposed to be an advocate for his clients (NHL Players). Nino pays his agent handsomely (15% or so of his earnings before the taxman cometh). That's a lot of dough. When you hire an agent as a player you trust him with your career. You are told you are paying him a lot of money so he can make all the hard financial decisions and you go out and just play hockey as best you can so he can maximize it monetarily and in the end you'll be rewarded.

Nino is a 20 year old hockey player, he is going to trust his 'advocates'. I'm not saying its the case in this instance (I'm also not saying it's not) BUT a lot of times players should overrule their agent in certain circumstances, and all it takes is pulling yourself away from the situation emotionally and use common sense. SOMETIMES agents provide their clients with the exact opposite of what they are paid to provide for their clients, albeit not intentional. (Just the same with Doctors, lawyers, accountants etc in real life)

InformTheMasses is offline   Reply With Quote