View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 02:31 PM
Lowkey

vCash: 500
The Canucks system

We have heard it time and time again when new players come to the team they talk about their being a transition period to learn the system. This seems like an appropriate topic since Jason Garrison is currently struggling to make a seamless transition to the team.

What makes the Canucks system different? If some of the more astute posters are willing to detail a typical or base NHL system and compare it to what the Canucks are doing that would be great! I'd love to learn more about the x's and o's and positioning of certain players when the puck is in position A, B, C etc.

My limited understanding of what makes it tough for new dmen is that when the puck is in their end the dmen are asked / required to be able to pass the puck up the ice to the forwards rather than skate it out. Occasionally they hang on to the puck a little bit longer in order to make a play rather than bang it off the boards or glass. In the offensive end I assume the dmen are required to make a lot of quick reads on when to pinch as our defenseman are frequently pinching down the boards to maximize our zone time and pin the other team deep in their own end. I love that Gillis and his staff have focused on identifying and acquiring the type of players with the appropriate skill set to execute this style of play from the back end. Tanev, Schultz, Corrado, McNally, Garrison all come to mind.

This would also be a good place to post your thoughts on what could be done from an x's and o's stand point to get the struggling power play going. Clearly they have been unable to get Garrison loose for one timers which is part of the problem. There has also been less quality chances and zone time overall which i would attribute to a little bit of rust since the twins didn't play during the lockout.

Last edited by Lowkey: 01-29-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote