View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 03:35 PM
Brodie
voted best

vCash: 500
it's a shame, but it's the system we've got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I entirely agree that productive people need to move into Detroit for there to be a change, but I'm not aware of any evidence that sports stadia in downtown cores do much to attract residents. The people from the areas around Tiger Stadium moved away in the 60s and 70s in spite of the close ties they had to the stadium and the team.
but the presence of restaurants, clubs, bars and shops do. That's why this mixed use development and the light rail link to New Center matter... if this small stretch of downtown and midtown can be successfully gentrified into a new Royal Oak, Ferndale or Ann Arbor, then that's a win for the city as a whole. Looking at this from a strict sports arena standpoint is wrong... it's one of several developments that will actually make this small section of the city livable.

Detroit's issue is that it's huge. It's a gigantic swath of land, the size of several other larger US cities combined. Rightsizing needs to happen and I think we all know that now... focusing on the peripheral neighborhoods is a flawed strategy. Build the city up again from the core out.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote