View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 02:41 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If we acquired an actual goaltending solution instead of signing Leighton, we probably still have Bob in the wings. He gets sent to the AHL to develop instead of getting tossed into the fire, then having his starts drastically cut because the inevitable goaltending collapse made Snider want Bryzgalov signed probably for the rest of his (Snider's) life.

The Leighton signing ended up being a disaster in more ways than anticipated. It was clearly a mistake at the time, but only because it was clear he wasn't as good as the organization thought he was. The butterfly effect down the road was much worse; we took on an albatross of a contract and traded away our best goalie prospect in ages.
I know I'm biased but i do agree with what your saying. i like bryzgalov but i also, before we signed him, would've been content to see where bob was headed. i thought we were weird with him in the playoffs in 2011. but i was a fan of bryzgalov before we got him and we made the deal because we thought we were gonna be younger and faster up front for laviolette's system with pronger and our defense plus goalie makin up for the youthful mistakes leaden to a maybe 3 year cup window. as soon as pronger went down it was over. now were just plugging holes and hoping,but if we didn't have the patience for bob we could've at least made a better decision regarding his trade. he wasn't rick nash but look at the league. i can think of at least 10 teams that need a goalie like him. some of them must be willing to part with an NHL player. it seemed to be a rushed move.