View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 02:42 PM
Tak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post

Do 2 1/2 star-players at least become decent AHLers or are they not worth developing at all? I find it incredibly tough to find anything better than 3 1/2 stars in the draft btw. unless you have a Top-5-pick.
While the star potential system is great and a welcome change, it pretty much renders it impossible to find late round gems in the draft the way you could with the letter-grade based potential system of previous NHL games.

2-1/2 star players do become decent AHLers - career minor leaguers, if you will. If you are just starting up your GM mode, then it's not a bad idea to keep them around on your AHL team for nothing other than roster fillers.

However, in a few seasons, with a combination of drafting well and finding 3.5 star or better prospects in free agency, you won't have a need for 2.5 star players. In a few years, your AHL team should have either 3.5 star potential players or better, and then established white star AHLers in their 70s overall.

Any 2.5 star potential player at that point, are pretty much useless to your organization, and can be traded away for 2nd round picks.

Quote:

I know, I meant for players of 20 years or older, whose skills aren't good enough yet to play a significant-role in the AHL (So the guys with Skills around 60).
If they have the potential, play them. My first line center for my AHL team for about 3 years was Connor McDavid, whose overall went from 51 to 59 to 64 overall. I'm not even sure he's fit 70 overall and it will be his 4th year in junior. BUT, he's 4.5 stars so I'm being very patient with him.

If those 20 year olds have the potential, then it's worth giving them the shot somewhere. I know a lot of other users tend to use those low overall, high potential guys on the 4th line (no ice time), but then substitute them in on the top power play lines to get them ice time, etc. That's not a bad system either, but I find that bleeding them in regardless of their overall is the best way to go.

Also - keep an eye on things like their age and the amount of time they've spent playing at different levels.

For example - a low overall 20 year old European who has spent 2 years in AHL, might be a bit of a concern as far as development goes, but a low overall 20 year old Canadian out of junior about to go into his first year of minor league hockey? Definite worth keeping hold of.

Plus - I've seen a lot of guys look like duds at 20, or 21 or 22, and then all of a sudden they have a massive boost in overall and are either NHL ready for knocking on the door at 23.

Quote:
Do you know where I can find a list of how the attributes are weighted for the Overall-rating? I know the Overall is just a number and since I play all the games myself I usually know which player "feels" ready anyway. But this is mainly about the players who are just entering the AHL whose ratings in the different categories are usually pretty low.
That information isn't available. But, having played a lot you get to know which attributes are weighed more heavily than others.

For example, goalies' "POISE" is weighed a lot, but is often an attribute that can easily be ignored (again - see James Reimer). Loosely for goalies, puck control is weighed very heavily.

For players, puck skills and physical are also weighed very heavily, and so are senses. Oddly offense and defense have a little less weight than one would think.

This plays an important role in selecting lines - My first line in one of my dynasties is all under 85 overall, but have put up 80 points each, because they have 5-star offense.

Quote:
So I should even sign the 3 1/2 star players with an Overall-Skill of around 60 to the AHL right away, even if they'll only play in a limited role there?
Prioritize potential - if there are 4-star or better players in the roster, make sure they get more ice time.

If the best you got is 3.5 (likely the case early on), then play them.

How well your AHL team does or doesn't do, has nothing to do with your judged success as a GM. BUT, having a successful AHL team that contains some young players can definitely improve the rate and odds of prospect success.

Quote:
I'd like to hear your thoughts on at least two of my prospects if that's possible, because I'm absolutely not sure about them:

- Nathan Pancel (20 years, 4 stars green, 57 Overall, just drafted, in Juniors)
- Jerome Gauthier-Leduc (22 years, 3 1/2 Stars Red, 64 Overall, starts his 2nd year in the AHL)
Nathan Pancel - 100% keep. 4 star green = 88-90 overall. 20 years old, plus ZERO AHL time, means that he's got so much to grow. Chances are by next year that 57 overall jumps quite a bit. Wouldn't be surprised if he's 70ish.

Gauthier-Leduc - keep him too. 22 years old; does he get top line minutes? By 24, he could comfortably be a low 70s player. That means he could fill out your bottom NHL lines in the future. Or, in a year or two (23 or 24), he becomes a very good trade asset. You could even trade him now, as I bet he has some trade value. But if you wait until closer to his prime, his value goes up.