View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Kills me to hear that. He was a fantastic d-man for Edmonton last year and the end of the season before, and had always been a useful d-man since entering the league as well. But Edmonton fans always need a scapegoat, and a finesse d-man, especially one with big size, has never gone over well in Edmonton. We railroaded Poti who went on to have a fine career, Brewer was always taking heat for not being physical enough...same with Grebeshkov who is one of the better d-men in the KHL. It's too bad. Our fans and media just love the big, mean son-of-a-guns even if they can't play hockey that well. Nick Schultz is more of a blue collar guy, so he's more popular because of it.

The Oilers totally downgraded by trading him for Schultz. Don't get me wrong, I really like Schultz, but Gilbert is now a bona fide top pairing d-man regardless of his physicality, and Schultz just isn't.

Anyway, back to the item at hand, I'd give up Ryan Whitney for a defensive forward with a bit of offensive ability, preferably a centre. Whitney and Petrell for Brodziak and a 3rd/4th?

I'd look at giving up Gagner to help out in your top 6 depending what the return would be. Talented young d-man is what I'd ideally want.
I wouldn't go that far.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote