View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
WarriorofTime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
While I agree; I don't think a goalie will be picked in the top 10 for a very long time let alone a first overall pick, most of those goalies were extremely talented. However they all have something in common, at least the ones who failed.

DiPietro had his development railroaded, so he's very much a raw goalie to this day. Brent Krahn was the same way, injuries destroyed his development. Leclaire had injuries, though they weren't that severe and he finally broke through in 07-08 before he fell apart again. Blackburn was ruined by injuries long before he had a chance to make an impact. Kari Lehtonen had conditioning issues which led to his struggles but he's rebounded now and is probably a top 10 goalie in the league. Fleury has never had injury problems, but he was never exactly developed properly, which I think may be a reason with his consistency issues. Montoya was destroyed by injuries as well, has sort of rebounded but is only a backup.

Only Carey Price has avoided both injuries and developmental issues, the one thing that all the other goalies have in common. Out of those 10 goalies, we have 5 NHL goalies, DiPietro, Lehtonen, Fleury, Montoya, Price. Out of those 5, two are top 10 goalies, one is a middle of the pack. Overall, there's 3 starters. Pretty bad ratio for top 10 selections but it seems if you can avoid poor development and injuries you can have a solid goalie.
You're making a lot of excuses for the Goalie busts. One injury shouldn't ruin a Goaltender ten years later unless he's lazy coming back from it/not tough enough to play through pain. The truth is that it's pretty dang difficult to project goaltenders. Krahn looked like a stud his first year in Juniors prompting the 9th overall selection. His next two years he wasn't even a very good goalie in the WHL. It happens. Remember what a star Justin Pogge looked like his last year of Juniors?

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote