View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 04:55 PM
guyincognito

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00bxQb View Post
2.5-star and 2-star TGH defensemen sometimes develop shockingly well into depth roles.

Great size, physicality, and defense. Skating is usually okay (high-70s) and offensive ability is generally passable (mid-70s for most w/ high shot power). Generally mid-70s OVR when developed with the occasional guy hitting high-70s.

2.5-star Snipers are also usually okay as 1-dimensional scorers.

I'd pass on pretty much any other player type under 3 stars.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss 3-star players. Sign them to an ELC after a couple of unsigned years and, if they're not in the 70s by the time their ELC is up, dump them. If they're in their 70s and under 25 at the time their ELC expires, there's a pretty good chance they'll get into at least the high-70s, possibly into the low-80s/mid-80s.
Yeah, I was going to say that you guys overload your teams to an extent. 2.5 star guys (not goalies) can and will be decent NHL players. I have had low 70's guys on my teams (Ryan Carter still centers my 4th line at 73) and they have been productive. Not likely to get more than say, 30-40 points out of a 3rd line forward with that kind of OVR, but they aren't total schlubs. Especially the ones that are on your roster initially, since you don't have to give up developmental time earlier in the game.

The point of the game is to find a roster that sims well together, and players that compliment each other. The entire roster does not have to be north of 80 OVR to have a really good team.