View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Not that I was a fan of PG, but the Cammy trade isn't as bad as you make it out to be.

First it wasn't a panic trade, it's been well reported that they had been working on a Cammy trade on/off for a couple months beforehand. At most Cammy's "loser" comments made Gauthier lower his asking price.
It was made a day after Cammy's minor rant. A rant for which he apologized the very next day and it was made in the middle of a "must win game" for a player who was still under suspension...

When asked why he didn't do it earlier PG said "well, the player was suspended..."

?????

Yeah, doesn't make any sense to me either. And none other than Bobby Mac said as much the next night when he said that the trade "strains credulity" if you think Cammy's words had nothing to do with this. PG was also worried about his job so he takes a longshot bet on Bouque. Same as he did with Kaberle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Second, no matter who we traded him too we were always going to pick up a Bourque-like contract. It's a salary-cap world. If you have a particular dislike for Bourque's contract then fine, but we always were going to pick up some bad salary.

As for being worth a 1st, I tend to agree. That being said we got a 2nd and a prospect which is not far off. It seems likely that PG was asking for a first and that's why talks had been going on for months. After "Cammy-gate" Gauthier decided to play it safe and get what he can now rather than risk Cammy's value dropping even more. Playing it safe doesn't make you terrible!
I would've been okay with picking up Bourque actually if he came along with a 1st. I agree, there'd have to be salary coming back. But if you're going to do this at least get a first out of it or tell the Flames to go jump in the lake.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote