View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 05:06 PM
iceberg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I really don't know very much about his illness but the last time I saw him (Forsberg retirement ceremony) he looked ok to me. Like I said, I'm quite certain that Pierre Lacroix lets Greg Sherman handle all of the day-to-day operations of being a GM but when it comes to significant roster moves & trades, he has his say for sure. I'm quite certain he was involved on the EJ, Downie and McGinn deals. That's not to say that Sherman doesn't have his opinions but I just don't think he can up and decide to trade Ryan Wilson for a 3rd round pick, if he feels like it...for lack of a better example. Greg said it himself that they do things by committee, so Lacroix would be involved in that as well if that were to happen.

Now the decision to bring up Sgarbossa over Malone, that's the day-to-day stuff I'm talking about. That's how I see it, anyways.

I understand what you're saying but fortunately, the organization turns to Joe Sakic and asks him: "so Joe, were you emotionally scarred from all that losing with the Nordiques to the point where you became a giant loser?"

Sakic: "Nope"

"OK then."

There is too much being made of the losing culture stuff, in my opinion. Rebuilds happen, teams go through bad years. Are the Edmonton Oilers going to NOT become a powerhouse because they sucked LARGE for the past 4 years? I doubt it, they're going to become very hard to beat.

For every Nordiques, you have the Islanders, Columbus, Florida. The Oilers looks to be overcoming their deficiencies, but if emulating the Oliers was our plan, than Sherman, shouldn't have made that trade for Varlamov, might as well keep the 1st and waited until Pickard and Aittokallio were ready. By waiting we would have our pick, and it might have been a top 5.

The Oilers youngters have a lot more top end potential than ours, we lost a 1st last year and don't know if Hishon will have an NHL carrer. If that's how we plan to become a powerhouse, keep Sacco, trade Stastny for picks, and keep the D as it is.