View Single Post
Old
12-15-2003, 09:42 AM
Darth Milbury

vCash: 500
How do today's dmen stack up to the Orr/Potvin/Robbinson era?

It has often been my impression that the cream of today's crop, for the most part, could not stack up to the better defensmen duirng the era when the Habs/Isles/Oilers took turns dominating. I would argue in fact, that guys like Park and Salming, who were probably not the best of their era, would be near the top nowadays.

I think there are few notable exceptions in today's NHL. Chris Pronger, at his best, is every bit as dominant as Potvin et al. were. I still consider Chris Pronger to be the best player in the NHL right now.

I also think that Lindstrom and Chelios would be competitive with any of the earlier greats.

Of course, if Borque was around back then, he'd probably be beating Potvin and Robbinson out for all star spots. And, Chelios in his prime was nearly as good. The only other player who I think could have been competitive with Robbinson et al. is Adam Foote, who is a nearly perfect defensive dmen on his best nights.

I'm less convinced by Gonchar, Blake, et al. I think those guys would have been in the bottom half of the top 10 back then.

What do you all think?