View Single Post
12-15-2003, 10:43 AM
vCash: 500
<b>Blues GM Rebuffs Claims by Old Rival</b>

Blues General Manager Nick Quain wasted no time dispelling rumours he and Eric Danis, the new Toronto Maple Leafs General Manager, had patched things up with bygones being bygones.

"Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm sure he was being sarcastic with you guys ", spouted Quain. “To be honest, I'm not sure I'm ready to patch things up with someone who masterminded a plan to target two of our franchise players. The league has the audacity to suspend Chris (Pronger) for an average crease clearing melee, in the playoffs no less, but his goons were allowed to check elbows first."

The incidents in question surrounded both Joe Thornton and Vincent Lecavalier at the end of the 2001-2002 seasons in which both players were injured to the head by questionable elbows from Dallas Stars players. It was the second last game of the season, and the Blues and Stars were already slated to match-up in the first round. What transpired next was one of the more physical and vicious post-season series the HFNHL has ever seen, with the Blues eventually upsetting the higher seeded Stars in six games. The teams renewed acquaintances again last post-season – this time a 4-1 series victory for the Blues – but Danis had passed along the reins to his predecessor at that point in time.

"I must admit, when I heard he was taking over in the Big Smoke I took a quick look at his roster to see who his designated hit-men would. I didn't see too much along those lines yet, but knowing him, I'm sure that'll change.” said Quain.

“Hey, I respect his abilities as a GM. I’m sure he’ll ultimately turn things around. I'm just disappointed he and the Leafs are in the other conference. It would have been nice to face him a few more times. After all, familiarity breeds contempt, and I can think of no one else I'd rather maintain my contempt for."

Quain emphasized the Blues would play their typical in your face game in their home opener against the Leafs, nothing more.

“But if they want to go to war, our guys are always ready for that.”