View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 10:41 PM
kingsfan
Yes my liege!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
If this is true, what is the downside of putting in a waiver claim on a player who you know you won't get because some team with higher priority already claimed him? Why not preserve rights by putting in a claim for every single player who is waived and claimed, just in case?
A lot of reasons, most of which Holden cited above.

Additionally though, there are roster limits and when you get a player he is put on your pro roster, so if you are already full, you'd have to waive someone to clear space, the same regarding cap space. And no, you can't just waive the guy as soon as you get him, you are required to keep the player for I believe a month.

If, for example, Pittaburgh put in a claim for everyone that was available on waivers at the start of the season, the fact you have to keep the player if you get him and would have to waive other players to clear roster space would mean they'd soon start waiving regular players and eventually would have to waive their entire line up, including guys like Crosby, Malkin, Fluery, etc. There's a reason teams don't do as you suggest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
On a side note, Hickey had a really nice game and looked solid against the Pens. The Isles are bringing him along best they can. He was left exposed again tonight but they are a young team who are still growing into their game.
I thought he played well, once I actually realized he was playing. I tuned in just before the start of the game, so either I missed the line ups or NBC didn't show them, and the play-by-play guy spends about 90% of the time having debates with Engblom rather than actually call the play, so I didn't even know Hickey was playing until the 2nd period.

From what I seen he looked very calm with the puck for someone in his 2nd game. I think he'd benefit from being paired with someone other than Carkner, who is as flat-footed as they come. Will be interesting to see how things shake out if Visnovsky and Martinek return soon, as they are using Hickey as a 6/7 D-man at the moment. Got to figure at least one of him or Finley is going on waivers in the next month.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote