View Single Post
Old
01-29-2013, 11:44 PM
les Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
Yes the number is everywhere.
It's been reported he'd like Suarez (Liverpool set an asking price of 48M€ on him) and/or Falcao (60M€).
Let's not pretend Pep doesn't want expensive guys. He spent (or at least Barca when he was there) a LOT of money with Barca where he already had multiple 50M+ players (in terms of value). Think of all the transfers that were made when he was there (Ibra, Villa, Sanchez, Fabregas, Keirrison, Mascherano, Chigrinksy, etc...). Those were not really cheap transfers.

It's perfectly possible he talked about spending a lot of money.
If Bayern wanted a guy that coaches without spending, they would not have gone after Pep, that's for sure.

For starters, to suggest that Pep was doing the spending or was in charge of transfers while he managed Barça is ridiculous. Txiki and later Zubi were the technical directors in charge of transfers. They had meetings and I'm sure Pep had requests as far as what sort of players he was looking for while even at times putting forward names (Villa, Cesc), but Pep wasn't in charge of transfers.

As for the transfers you mention, some of those weren't even that expensive in today's market and a guy like Keirrison obviously wasn't a Pep transfer.

Of course it's possible, but depending on one's definition of spending a lot of money it's not necessarily probable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That doesn't necessarily mean it's true. L'Equipe seems to be the root of the rumor and everyone else just runs with it or spins new stories from it. It's transfer season and you can't believe what any media source says, whether it's the Times or L'Equipe or whoever.

The reality is that in the perception of the international media Bayern have now moved from that place of being the always slightly underrated and not all that interesting, quietly solid German powerhouse to the big time of the international mega clubs. That means Bayern will be a bigger part of transfer speculation because Bayern are now far more interesting to the average reader of a sports publication in Spain, England, France etc. Two months ago the Daily Mail and L'Equipe wouldn't really have given a damn about Bayern's transfer budget, now that sort of stuff gets clicks and generates discussion.
Yeah, this is common. People rip on Tribalfootball for example when the majority if not all of it's stories come from other sources like The Daily Mail or SPORT or Marca.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
With Pep's transfer history?
You can expect at least 50M€ a season.
Pep's transfer history? Again, he wasn't in charge of transfers and whether the transfers that happened while he was there were down to his requests is easily debatable and I'll start with Ibra.

At least 50 million euros a season? Where do you get that from? You must mean gross spend. If so it's laughable that you'd even suggest it. Net transfer spending is what should be considered and when you look at that he only exceeded 50 million euros once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatNYR View Post
Who cares how much they spend? They have it so they can spend it. As long as Pep doesn't want Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Mueller, Badstuber, Kroos or Neuer gone, everything is fine with me. If they can replace Gomez with Falcao or Suarez, I'm all for it.
I wouldn't worry too much about that. I think they're all players he can work with and I think the current squad was a factor in his choosing Bayern. Again, for me Bayern looks one of the best fits if not the best fit away from Barça right now when you consider the squad.

On the flip side, any thoughts on Schweinsteiger? I mean he was calling for Mourinho and then did I read recently something about him moving on or trying a new league or something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipers31 View Post
Too much too quote. A lot good and sensible stuff today.

les Habs is offline   Reply With Quote