View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 01:05 AM
ales83fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I think that if you're a certain age, 20-30 years old you'll carry around fond memories of that Spring. It was pretty magical. Well, most people in that age group will look back on it fondly. For all of the... magic, that was probably the worst thing that could have happened to this franchise around that time. Various guys overachieved RE: Horcoff, Pisani and got stupid paydays within season or two. Hemsky looked like he was becoming the offensive face of the franchise and we put a lot of stock in him. Basically it raised the expectation levels far too high. Even when we lost Pronger, Peca, Spacek, Samsonov etc etc. that summer a lot of fans still expected to contend.

Remember those "Omg, look at all of this offensive talent!!! Smyth, Horcoff, Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, Lupul, Sykora!!!~!~!~ We're gonna fill the net!!" threads?

I understand that it was a tough call for Lowe but he should have pulled the plug as soon as Pronger abandoned us. We were counting on him to carry this team and those plans were sewered when he left.
Haha I do remember that. Man did we crash hard

ales83fan is offline   Reply With Quote