Thread: GDT: Sharks vs Ducks Part 2
View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 04:52 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

vCash: 500
If you ever want to know how important Dan Boyle is to this team, I suggest re-watching this game. It is impossible to play a puck possession style when you do not have elite puck-movers on the back end to lead the breakout. Boyle is so incredibly vital to this team and the style they want to play; probably more so than any other player. The Sharks' top line consistently dominates despite playing against the toughest competition the opposition has to offer. They are a mismatch against the vast majority of opposing top lines because they dominate possession and simply keep the puck away from the other team's top forwards. A huge part of their offensive zone possession dominance is due to Boyle actually getting the puck through the neutral zone. His ability to act as a fourth forward, jump into the cycle, and control the puck deep in the offensive zone is unparalleled. Today, the Sharks were completely incapable of even breaking out of their own zone with the puck. And when they did manage to lead an attack into the Anaheim zone, they were unable to keep possession and generate any type of sustained pressure. Not to mention, Boyle's impact on the powerplay is irreplaceable. It's not a coincidence that the Sharks became a dominant force on the powerplay the moment Boyle arrived in town.

Either way, let's just hope that the Sharks never have to deal with Boyle being out of the lineup for an extended period of time. The defense that the Sharks iced today was a flashback to the good old days when we used to dress 5+ defensemen who couldn't move 3 feet with the puck and were generally anchored to our own blueline. Justin Braun looked like Bobby Orr compared to the rest of our defense. I must say, however, that Brad Stuart was absolutely fantastic tonight. He was a rock in the defensive zone and often jumped up into the rush as well. He is no longer the skater he used to be, but still managed to be involved in the offensive zone and his rush led to the tying goal. On a night that most of our defense treated the puck like it was a hand grenade, Stuart certainly impressed me. I'm happy that he's back.

The Sharks were terrible tonight. And they managed to get 2 points against a division rival. I'll take it.

Last edited by Blades of Glory: 01-30-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote