Old
01-30-2013, 05:59 AM
oilinblood

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post

Johnny Boychuk

Ryan Whitney

Heard this on the radio and show host has no real answer for it. Maybe he's hasn't watched must Boston. So, thought I might ask.
I think this is a decent trade(IMO) Boston adds a little more offense on the back end. While the Oilers get a little bit bigger. Maybe i'm over my head here but I thought it was a interesting proposal.

Regulars here and in the boston and edmonton boards are going to think we are in cahoots. I mention Johnny Boy as the best Oilers option, on a pretty much daily and sometimes hourly rate. Love the guy.
I think Johnny Boy is the exact defenceman we need. RHD- can handle and give quality minutes in the 25 range if you want. tough, simple, effective and hard shot. With Justin Schultz also on the right you dont need anything but consistent decision making from JB.

Whitney, man i wish he would get his stock up, he is a impending UFA and Boston boy (if i remember right).

I just dont see the value in this equation. I mean if Whitney played like Whits before injury than i think this is a done deal --although Tambi would mess it up and try to get another homerun defenseman that doesnt fit.
Also JOhnny Boychuk has a NMC, its not a full NMC and changes on pretty much a quarterly basis, increasing from a list of 6 teams to 20 over the next 18 months (if i remember correctly)

Here is the issue... Whitney from 3 years ago- pre-surgery...definitely Boston takes that trade (Tambi likely F's it up and , as i said, tries to get a bigger name that doesnt suit our needs)... Whitney now after the surgerys and looking like a bottom pair is a massive underpayment for JB... Whitney needs to show he is capable of getting back to the player he was before. Then maybe the potential impact of a rejuvenated Whitney on an already solid D-corps would allow them to move JB. Hamiltons progress doesnt hurt at all.

Boston fans might not have seen him play much but I would be open to sending Petry for Boychuk. It would be unpopular with many fans and seen as highway robbery to alot but Boychuk is consistently what we ask Petry to try to be. It would have to be an overpayment in Oilers value based minds to get Johnny B, Petry has great potential and already jumped Gilbert and made him expendable. Might even have to add a bit. Most B's fans say the real value of Johnny B as a player is a late 1st or early second pick, but -understandably- his value for the B's (without a side aquisition like yandle etc) is much higher than that.
He fits the role that we need filled ASAP to be seriously in conversation of competing.

for Oiler fans (who some tend to only look at stats) J.B.s ability to stop the opposition (actually do his job as a defenseman) would likely mean fresher forwards when transitioning. He might post more points just on that virtue. To me he is even worth giving up Belanger + and taking the PK faceoff hit for immediate possession.

Petry + DP/Pros
OR
Belanger + higher end Pros/DP

Jones could be discussed as a + if Caron was healthy. Unlike others I have been impressed with his play as a bottom 6 guy and could see him contributing.

Last edited by oilinblood: 01-30-2013 at 06:25 AM.
oilinblood is offline   Reply With Quote