View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 06:58 AM
Rangerboy030

vCash: 500
Something that I think is worth mentioning in trades is that, when targeting a player, you get to pick 2 of these 3 qualities:

Skilled
Young
Cheap

As such, I think we need a top 6 forward, a 4th/3rd line forward and a bottom pair D. The 3rd/4th liner can easily be had through free agency with either Langkow or Moore, so we don't need to worry about a trade there.

With the top 6 forward, given that we don't have assets that are expendable (at least without compromising our depth, which is already an issue), so we have to go with someone who would be cheap. A top 6 forward by definition is skilled, so if we were to acquire a top 6 forward, he would be an older player.

To this, my ideal target would be to bring back Prospal; he knows the system, still has top 6 caliber skills and plays with a ton of heart. We could probably get him for a second, or a third with a later pick.

With the rise of the Staal - MDZ pairing, it would be safe to change focus from acquiring a RHD to pair with MDZ and instead find a LHD to pair with Stralman. Murray from San Jose has been suggested to no end and I think he's a good fit too. The only problem I see here is that San Jose will be competing this year and I can't see them weakening their defence for futures, which is all we're in a position to deal with our current depth situation. A couple of guys that I could see being available for futures depending on how their teams are performing are Toni Lydman from Anaheim or Jan Hejda from Colorado.

Lineup (when healthy):

Gaborik - Richards - Nash
Prospal - Stepan - Pyatt
Hagelin - Ferriero - Callahan
Langkow/Boyle - Boyle/Moore - Asham/Rupp

McD - Girardi
Staal - MDZ
Lydman/Hejda - Stralman

Hank
Biron