View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Stray Wasp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
I sure hope he gets some playing time because the guy has been playing in L1 for 2 years now - full time - and he needs playing time to develop. A loan would be better if he doesn't.
But if he's a backup, he'll get playing time for sure at some point.

As for being patient with defensemen, it does make sense. But Debuchy was thrown into the fire early, as soon as he was available.
CB is a different position and indeed, you need communication and a little tactical work. We'll see in the upcoming weeks if Mbiwa is fully trusted.
As I type this, it so happens that Haidara is playing for the reserves in a closed-door game. Santon has struggled in a struggling defence recently and is not a fully-formed defender himself, so if Haidara makes a quick start, the playing time will come.

I'd suspect that since Newcastle play Chelsea and Spurs in their next two games, Pardew will probably have pinpointed the UEFA Cup in mid February to give Mbiwa a start. Haidara too, possibly.

In Debuchy's case, his only competition at right back is Danny Simpson, who is out of contract in six months and was playing poorly. Hence the quick introduction. Steven Taylor, on the other hand, has been out injured for several weeks, so he's not tainted by association with the recent defensive collapses. In due course, I'd expect that Mbiwa proves himself the better option, because Taylor is all heart and no brains and, as such, can't play more than a few games without injuring himself or making hideous mistakes.

Stray Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote