View Single Post
Old
01-30-2013, 07:11 AM
NastyNick

vCash: 500
I've watched my fair share of Penguins meltdowns the last few years. Let me explain what the trend has been.

Goaltending, you don't always notice it, but its there. The Pens are not emotionally mature enough to handle getting scored on when they are trying to get to "their game". Fleury makes this issue worse because hes just not very good at stopping pucks anymore.

I thought they responded well to goal #1. That was the first time they didn't score first all year. They came back with a few good shifts, and then a really good start to the 2nd period. The Islanders were starting to cave. Had this continued for another 5 minutes we might be talking about a different story. But it was like i could predict what would happen next, because i've seen it replayed about 2 dozen times in the last 3 years. The Islanders got 1 turnover, 1 scoring chance, and our goalie couldn't make 1 save. That broke our team's will to compete the rest of the night.

It seems like certain teams bring this out of the Pens more then others. Toronto, Montreal, Islanders, Tampa Bay.. just to name a few. I don't think its coaching. I think its the fact this team has zero faith in its netminder.. that they don't even bother to compete once they get down in a game. They know its pointless. They've all been through it before. Why work hard when your goaltender will let you down?

The solution is really this. Dump half the team and hit a reset button, or dump the goalie.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote